Posts tagged with cutout
I designed this font in 2019 but didn’t polish it up until 2020. I’d held back expecting to create some different variant or for some other font to otherwise intersect into a typeface but it never happened.
The font works quite well for futuristic styled games when used sparingly - large paragraphs of text can however be hard to read given the limited x-height.
Probably created sometime towards the end of 2019 and dusted off in 2020 Reflex is an oblique font that leans back instead of forward. It’s an unusual style that I’ve only seen in real life when my left-handed schoolfriend slanted back in his exercise books.
This font works pretty well for all areas of text although it can be difficult to identify some words in some scenarios so be careful with usage.
Artist II is the art program that got me hooked on creating fonts with its built-in font editor. I picked it up in a bundle with a mouse and interface from Datel in the 80s and could barely put it down. Artist II came with a few fonts - a bold font, a futuristic font, and most interestingly a Blackletter/Old English font that amazed me for so many years to come.
In 2019 I thought I’d try designing a blackletter, specifically the Textura style. I intentionally avoided looking at the “Old English” one from The Artist II to avoid similarities and I’m glad I did. While that font had narrow non-bold lower-case mine takes on a thicker more stand-out style. Both fonts struggle to get the necessary curves and flourishes in the capitals but with only 8x8 pixels your options are limited. It took quite some time and along the way I tried an alternative style which resulted in Scribe.
This font works pretty well for normal runs of text and prose but avoid using capital letters next to each other as the density can turn it into something quite incomprehensible.
A 2019 creation that managed to escape the _Incomplete folder in early 2020. It is aggressive, angular, and very tightly compressed.
Despite the compressed vertical height, it works well for titles and large runs of text at least on clear RGB screens and emulators.
With some tweaks to the symbols, you could render this font with just 6 vertical pixels if using a custom renderer. On a Spectrum that would give 32 lines instead of the usual 24.