My name is Damien Guard and I grew up on the small picturesque island of Guernsey located off the coast of northern France. (Yes, it’s where the cows come from)
I have been developing software since 1983 when I would learn on the school Acorn BBC Micros by day and my own Sinclair ZX Spectrum by night. I moved on to developing commercial & internet banking, e-commerce, device drivers, databases, intranets, extranets, Windows apps, content management and many other cool things.
Some previous career highlights include:
- Centurylink Cloud (Bellevue, Washington) – Principal engineer working on cloud product as well as a stint on the analytics team.
- Attack Pattern (San Jose, California) – Chief Technical Officer for a Silicon Valley start-up creating apps for Western Digital, Microsoft, Xbox, Pinger and the Bluetooth SIG.
- Netflix (Los Gatos, California) – Senior Engineer on the .NET based platforms. That includes the desktop/web video player, Windows Phone 7x and Windows 8.
- Xbox (Redmond, Washington) – Senior Engineer on Xbox web marketplace and broader services across xbox.com including security and JSON APIs for Windows 8.
- Microsoft (Redmond, Washington) – Working on LINQ to SQL and Entity Framework object-relational mappers, one of the original guys behind Code First.
- Ricoh (Guernsey, Channel Islands) – Development of the international distributor extranet/ordering system (1998) and subsequent expansion.
Before moving to the USA I was actively involved in the Guernsey Software Developer Forum where I gave a number of talks on subjects such as Subversion, Web Application Security and Microsoft’s Language Integrated Query (LINQ).
I hold a BSc degree in Computer Science (1st with Honours) and you can contact me at email@example.com.
Thanks for reading,