MacBook Pro whine fix in 3 hours
It’s been an odd couple of weeks for my MacBook Pro 15″.
First of all I find that my battery is one affected by a recall and so Apple send me a new battery complete with incorrect instructions on how to return.
Then I find that the whine that my machine emanated from under the left of the keyboard when on battery power gets semi-acknowledged in a knowledge base article.
Quick turnaround on service
Unable to live with my MacBook Pro for more than a day or two now that it’s my primary machine for work and home and being that this issue is more an annoyance than a show stopper I tried the following:
- Locate my nearest Apple Authorised Service Center
- Call Apple support, explain the problem and reference the KB article
- Obtain the case ID from Apple and tell them I want it repaired at the aforementioned service centre
- Head to the service centre, demonstrate problem to engineer and provide him with case ID, KB article and my phone number
- Wait for engineer to call back confirming that parts have been requested against the case ID (in this case a new logic board)
- Continue using my machine until I get a call from engineer that parts are in
- Arrange to drop-off machine to engineer when he will be able to work on it and then drop it off
- Get call from engineer that machine is ready and collect it!
Total time MacBook Pro out of my hands … 3 hours.
The afterglow of replacement logic board
The annoying whine is gone and the case has yet to get too hot to touch!
They also supply new 10.4.6 CD’s (v1.3) with a note that if I need to reinstall Mac OS X I will need to use these as the original ones supplied with my machine will not contain necessary support for this logic board revision.
There are a few odd issues though…
- It now reports its serial number as SystemSerialNumb. Hope that doesn’t cause a problem with any shareware applications.
- Windows XP required quite some time to boot the first time after the replacement board and the fans whirred right up whilst doing so.
- The iSight camera driver reported “unprogrammed” in device manager. A quick uninstall and detect sorted that out.