Using your Xbox Kinect as a webcam for Skype on Windows
Thanks should go to ScottOrange on the MSDN forums however it’s along thread that has lots of pieces to pick out and try.
Still getting odd noise, corruption and other issues in Skype. Wouldn’t recommend using a Kinect as a webcam on Windows right now.
What worked for me (eventually):
- Download the Kinect SDK from Microsoft
- Install the Visual Studio 2010 Runtime if you don’t already have it
- Go to the KinectCPP site and download KINECTSQM.DLL and MSRKINECTNUI.DLL
- Create a folder for your Kinect camera drivers to live and copy those two files there
- Go to Wildbill’s Github repo and download the three files there into the same folder
- Open a Command Prompt as Administrator and CD into the folder
- Type install and press return
You should get a success message. If you don’t then you probably missed steps 2 or 3 – if all else fails open KinectCam.ax in Dependency Walker and see which DLL it claims it can’t find. (the IESHIM one missing is fine)
Restart Skype and see if it shows up in the list of cameras. If it doesn’t.
- Quit Skype entirely
- Go to %appdata%\Skype\shared_dynco in Windows Explorer
- Delete dc.db
- Restart Skype