Time for an update on the state of broadband in the Channel Islands. Some interesting home tariff cuts on both islands. The Office of Utility Regulation is pushing for further wholesale ADSL cuts in Guernsey. More news as it happens.
Now have usage limits in place on their “Rapid” broadband services with the exception of the top-end business service.
Contention ratio of 50:1 with connection fees starting at £50 without a modem. Other more expensive install options are available but not priced on their web site.
- 512KB @ £17.99, 20GB limit
- 1MB @ £24.99, 40GB limit
- 2MB @ £39.99, 60GB limit
Connection charges are £50 for self-install or £130 for JT visit. Contention of 20:1 and includes a single fixed IP address.
- 512KB @ £35.99, 40GB limit
- 1MB @ £49.99, 80GB limit
- 2MB @ £99.99, unlimited
Newtel Solutions Jersey
Prices followed JT’s lead since last update but without JT’s usage limits. The 50:1 contention limit set by JT on the ADSL applies.
- 512KB @ £16.99 (£16.25 if paid annually)
- 1MB @ £23.49 (£22.50 if paid annually)
- 2MB @ £33.99 (£32.50 if paid annually)
Business (XBand Pro)
Some price cuts here, almost the same prices as the old home tarifs. Contention of 40:1. Fixed IP addresses – 5 usable – £8.99 a month on top.
- 512KB @ £30.99 (£29.75 if paid annually)
- 1MB @ £42.99 (£41.25 if paid annually)
- 2MB @ £85.99 (£82.50 if paid annually)
The £49.99 installation fee for “Pay-As-You-Go” is being waived until the end of May 2006. Anytime installation is free. Believed to still be 40:1 contention ratio.
- 1MB “Anytime” unlimited @ £26.99
- 1MB “Pay-as-You-Go” @ £19.99-£34.99 (500 mins, 3p per extra min)
These rates that look like JT’s business ADSL prices four years ago. Contention ratio of 20:1.
- 1MB @ £89.99
- 2MB @ £149.99
Newtel Solutions Guernsey/Guernsey.Net
Price drop takes effect from today. Free connection and D-Link 200 modem. Single IP address available for extra £15 a month.
- 1MB @ £21.99 (£20.50 if paid annually)
Despite evidence that the wholesale price of the 2MB ADSL is £73.99 Newtel seems to be following C&W’s out-of-date pricing model for business.
Very strange when you consider their margin on 1MB home must be around £4.50.
Connections start at £49.99 a month without router/modem. No indication of contention ratios.
- 1MB @ £85.00 (£81.00 if paid annually)
- 2MB @ £145.00 (£139.00 if paid annually)
Just for comparison I’ll include BT’s current pricing. True bandwidth costs more to the UK but then we also don’t have VAT…
- to 2MB @ £14.99, 2GB limit
- to 2MB @ £20.99, 6GB limit
- to 2MB @ £25.99, 20GB limit
- to 2MB @ £29.99, 40GB limit
Business (Business Broadband)
- to 2MB “Single” @ £29.99, unlimited (Free connection & router)
- to 2MB “Share” @ £45.00, unlimited (Free WiFi router)
- to 2MB “Network” @ £65.00, unlimited (Free connection & WiFi router)
Bulldog (C&W UK)
May as well look at C&W’s UK service offerings. Note that the 8MB is only available if you’re right next to an exchange and indeed Wanadoo have been slapped by the Advertising Standards Authority over their 8MB claims.
- to 8MB “Pay-As-You-Go” @ 1p-3p minute
- to 8MB “Anytime” @ £9.75, 1GB limit
- to 8MB “Unlimited” @ £19.50
- to 8MB “Small Business” @ £25.50, 1 IP address, 40:1 contention, £60 connection
All the prices are per-month in GBP and do not include the additional monthly charge for a phone line.